dumb question about blu ray drive configuration and playing blu ray movies etc....

Dear Debian folks,

I have been investigating the world of 3D TV and Blu ray players
etc......  I also found a blu ray drive for a PC in a store I visited.
 Googling around seems to produce some funny results.  Some web pages
say that no OS can handle blu ray including Windows 7 even though the
drive in the store said it was Windows 7 ready and I found Microsoft
user websites with Windows users grumbling that they couldn't play blu
ray on their PCs ....  Other pages have strange hacky looking solutions posted
in them.   Yet others have ominous discussions about digital rights
management restrictions resulting in them being unusable by design
without having access to some sort of digital key that only
proprietary software would work with.

I found one site with some advice on blu ray playback (not sure about
burning a disk though) here:

http://themediaviking.com/software/bluray-linux/

In theory you ought to be able to play a movie on the PC drive and on
a new PC with an HDMI socket you could hook up to the 3D TV and watch
it not just to a monitor or VGA socket on the TV.....   Panasonic have
a new 3D TV camera out which I suppose you could shoot a movie with
and then copy it to a blu ray disk in some way or other and I don't
see why it couldn't involve a PC burning it using a blu ray drive.

Can you burn blu ray disks in debian?

Sorry about the first post I sent it in before finishing by mistake.

Michael Fothergill