Re: how to get pid when I start the process

Zhang Weiwu wrote:
Hello. I usually start amuled and kill it after a few hours, I do such
thing once a day. Usually I do it like this:

In one console:
$ amuled

In another:

zhangweiwu@mesopotamia:~$ ps ax | grep mule
13595 zhangwei 14080 R N  amuled
13598 zhangwei 14080 S N  amuled
13600 zhangwei 14080 S N  amuled
13603 zhangwei 14080 S N  amuled
13612 zhangwei  1352 S    grep mule
zhangweiwu@mesopotamia:~$ kill 13595

Note that I should always kill the least-numbered process, I tried
otherwise and always end up in trouble.

Question is, how do I script-lize this? The only difficulty is to get
the pid in script. I could use an one-liner awk script to analyses the
output of ps, but that sounds overkill. Is there a better way?

Best. & Thanks in advance!

Hi ,
As already mentioned by Bob Proulx pkill & pgrep are better than ps for such kind of tasks .

Reagrds ,
Alex