Reportbug failure

I'm trying to report a bug in gedit and ran reportbug, opting for the
gtk interface. I looked at existing bug reports and none seemed
relevant so I proceeded to create one. After inputting the bug title
and selecting the severity rating (normal) the application quits. When
I look for the report it doesn't exist, so I presume it didn't file a
report. In any case I'd have expected a few more questions would have
been necessary.

I saw this message in Dmesg:
 reportbug[11151] trap divide error ip:7f8355eedcf0 sp:7f834e960f60
error:0 in libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2000.1[7f8355dc1000+415000]

Also when first installing and setting up, after its first use,
invoked from the command line, after it quit the following was
reported on the command line:

Default preferences file written. To reconfigure, re-run reportbug with the "--
configure" option.
**
Gdk:ERROR:/scratch/build-area/gtk+2.0-2.20.1/gdk/gdkregion-generic.c:1108:miUnionNonO:
assertion failed: (y1 < y2)
**
Gdk:ERROR:/scratch/build-area/gtk+2.0-2.20.1/gdk/gdkregion-generic.c:1108:miUnionNonO:
assertion failed: (y1 < y2)
Aborted

Trying to run it from the gui menus the app fails as above, but I then
tried it by invoking it from the command line, which appeared to
complete (as far as I know but I haven't used this system before).
However searching for the bug in the bug report tracking system I
couldn't find it (searched for gedit bugs with the word tab in as my
title was "fails to use tab preference when loading file" )

I then tried to run it again from the command line and got a lot of
errors. Each time I run it I get different errors, too numerous to
report.

Please advise on what to do next.