Re: Updating Lenny with DVD 5.0.7

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 12:29:30PM +0000, Alan Levett wrote:
>I am sorry, but I cannot understand how to update my newly installed
>Lenny 5, which I got from a Distro Supplier as a 5 DVD set.  This
>installed with no problem, using GUI, apart for the need for a later
>version of "hplip" to drive the HP printer/scanner, no problem.
>The Distro Supplier also very kindly made me a DVD copy of
>"updates_5.0.7" and I can find no details of how to apply this update.
>Part of my problem is anno-domini (75) exacerbated by Parkinson's drugs.

Hi Alan,

The update DVD contains all the updated packages since the rest of the
set was made. To make use of it, you just need to tell the packaging
system about it. From the command-line as root:

# apt-cdrom add

and load the disc when prompted.

In synaptic:

Edit->Add CD-ROM

and load the disc when prompted.

Other tools will have similar methods.

>From this point forwards, your system will know to ask you to load
that DVD when needed.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
 English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on
 occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
 unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."  -- James D. Nicoll