Multiple xorg instances.

Hello,

I once ran multiple X server instances in the past, the details of how
I got it running elude my memory.  Though I do remember that I had to
login whenever I went to the second virtual terminal (vt8).

I don't want to do this, what I want to do is run a script which starts
X on the next available VT, with a user other than root, and a
different X configuration file.

In my case, I have three screens running as a single desktop, what I'd
like to do is fire up quake via a command and fire it up on VT8 so that
I may default to the center screen.  My virtual desktop runs at
6144x1152, making it extra difficult and annoying to run a windowed
game.

While admittedly I have not actually tried any of my options right
now, I want to clarify what the "best" way to do this is.  I've run into
recommendations to use startx, xinit, modify my *dm to handle it,
though these suggestions don't seem to handle my need to run these
sessions as a non-root user and with a different xorg.conf file.

Does anyone have experience doing this, and more importantly, what's
the most efficient "debian" way I can approach this problem?

TIA