Missing/corrupt font?

I've recently installed Squeeze on a desktop system with Gnome and KDE.  All
seems quite well with the exception of a poorly displayed font when using KDE.
99% of the fonts look great but in certain places the font used is barely
readable, both small and 'run together'.  Examples are, when in the KDE System
Settings, or in KMail, the search box contains the word "Search" as a default.
The font used for the word "Search" is the one in question.  This same font
shows up in non-KDE apps as well, Rosegarden audio app is an example.
Changing the fonts in the KDE settings has no bearing on it at all.  One other
possible clue is in KMail using Kwallet, the password box does not display
stars or any other characters when input is typed, only a "box" character in
the first position that doesn't change.  Other password boxes display stars,
or dots as expected.  Am I missing a font, or possible have one that is
corrupt?  Any ideas on how one could change the font used in the above
siutations?  Thanks for any ideas!

Dennis