Re: [SOLVED] Cannot mount floppy drive in Squeeze

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 22:28:52 -0500 (EST), Tom H wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> I have been able to circumvent the problem
>> by commenting out the following entries in /etc/fstab and rebooting:
>>
>> /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
>> /dev/fd1        /media/floppy1  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
>>
>> Now only root can mount and umount floppies.  Since GNOME does not
>> run with root privileges, it can't mess me up.
>
> I've been systematically deleting the emails in this thread unread. I
> was about to do the same with this one when I remembered a
> Ubuntu-users thread/rant about floppies where the apparent solution
> was to keep the above lines in "/etc/fstab" and mount floppies with
> "udisks --mount /dev/fdX". Since Ubuntu's based on a mix of testing
> and unstable and uses the Debian udisks package without "ubuntufying"
> it...

That works, Tom.  Thanks!  And of course the corresponding

   udisks --unmount /dev/fdX

command unmounts the floppy.  It appears that udisks has taken over
the mounting and unmounting of removable-media devices just like
network manager has taken over network devices.  I don't think
we're in Kansas anymore, Toto.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :