Re: dist upgrade nightmare!

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 10:32:42AM EST, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> I tried taking a friend's machine from lenny to squeeze and it turned
> into a disaster.  As a consequence of the attempt his entire package
> update and repair systems are broken.  apt-get -f install can't fix
> anything and dpkg --configure -a can't fix anything anymore and as
> a consequence of those  two acts, it's impossible to update his
> system.  I can't even downgrade  back to lenny!  What I would like to
> know is if emergency procedures exist that can clear the mess out that
> these operations created and get the  system back to some known state.
> I wouldn't mind this so much if the  upgrade had simply failed but
> a system breaking like this where even  though useable with the
> squeeze kernel on it is there nothing can be  installed or uninstalled
> with apt-get and aptitude apparently got turned  into a zombi placed
> in not fully installed or uninstalled or deferred  status.  If I had
> done this to my own computer that would be one thing,  but this is
> a computer of a friend and I don't appreciate these tools for  having
> ended up leaving this kind of damage.

Hey Jude,

Sorry to hear about that.

Whether upgrading your own system or your friend's, the correct upgrade
procedure is as follows:

1. Clone your existing system to a new partition¹
2. Update your booloader so you have access the clone
2. Read the release notes, etc.
3. From the clone, run the update, upgrade, dist-upgrade procedure
4. Test the resulting system for a couple of days.
5. Delete the old system if you need to reclaim the disk space

In any case, there is _always_ a quick painless way to ‘downgrade back
to lenny’.. such as restoring from the full backup you made prior to
running the dist-upgrade.

As others have said, booting off a rescue disc and backing up anything
worth saving is still an option. Reinstalling and restoring the user
data shouldn't be difficult.

Cheers,

cj