Re: why my sound card doesn't work

* deloptes <deloptes@yahoo.com> [101213 20:42]:
> Long Wind wrote:
>
> > 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM
> > AC'97 Audio (rev 12)
>
> this is a straight forward intel audio card based on ac97
>
> run
>
> amixer | grep -i off
>
> and you'll see what's muted - I bet it's the problem you are facing
>
> also it's usually better reading instead asking, as we've discussed audio
> issues many many times and there are straight forward actions to report the
> status of your system.
>
> aplay -l
> aplay -L
>
> /proc/asound/*
>
> etc
>
> regards

Thanks.  I know about aplay -l/-L, and I know about amixer and muting
and alsaconf.  (I have been running Debian for ten years now, starting
with Potato.)  But typically whatever sound card is on-board is not
listed.

Perhaps I am getting lazy, but my time for diagnositics is limited,
and USB sound works.

Regards,

RLH