Re: Radeon problems, encore....

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 19:08:52 +0100
Joost Kraaijeveld <J.Kraaijeveld@Askesis.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After installing flgrx 10.11-1 from Sid on my Squeeze machine nothing
> worked. So I decided to revert back to fglrx 10.9-3 (which worked,
> sort of). But now nothing works (comfortably). I get very slow video
> performance with normal operations like scrolling and drag and drop.
> Glxgears (I know it is not a benchmark) drops to 60 FPS where it used
> to be > 2500.
>
> I don't know what the problem exactly is, but for starters it seems
> that the Radeon firmware is not loaded any more. I have tried
> (almost?) all options that I could think of:
>
> - removed all vga references from /boot/grub/grub.conf and others,
> - adding fglr as module in /etc/modules,
> - adding fglrx-kms.conf and/or radeon-kms.conf with "options fglrx
> modeset=0/1" and "options radeon modeset=0/1",
> - with and without blacklisting radeon,
> - adding all sort of modules to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules:
> agpgart
> agpgart-amd64
> i2c-core
> i2s-algo-bit
> drm
> drm_kms_helper
> ttm
> fglrx/radeon
> -running update-grub / uptdae-initramfs etc as appropriate.
>

> How can I get my Radeon card working again? What should be in
> my /etc/modules, /etc/initramfs-tools/modules, /etc/modprobe,d/* ?
>
> Is there anyone who has a Radion HD 3850 working on a Squeeze machine
> with acceptable performance tha can send me those files?
>
> TIA for any pointers to answers or solutions,
>

> ( Angus Hedger gave me a working solution for my slow Radeon card.
> Because it worked I tried something else as installing the next great
> version ;-). Sorry Angus, I will not do that again).

It happens ;)

I would purge out everything fglrx related, restore all the stuff you
messed with, removing all blacklists related to fglrx.

Also remove your xorg.conf

reboot

reinstall fglrx, run

$ sudo aticonfig --initial

And it all should work.

Also see: https://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary#Squeeze

Once its all installed, follow the instructions I gave before to fix
the slow 2D ;)

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User	PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97