Re: Directory and file permissions

On 8.12.2010 14:17, Lisi wrote:
> My google foo seems to have deserted me completely.  Could someone take
> pity? :-(
>
> Is it possible for a directory to have lower permissions than the files it
> contains?  And could those who have permissions for the files, but not the
> directory, gain access to the files?
>
> My instinct says no.  But it would not be for the first time if my instinct is
> wrong.
>
> Thanks for any help anyone feels able to give,
> Lisi

I'm not absolutely sure if I understood your problem but here's something:

You can write to a file already (with write permission) in a non-writable
directory but you can't delete or create a file.
If your directory has the read bit on (r--) then it's possible to list the
contents but not possible to enter the directory and not possible to read a
file otherwise readable.
If your directory the the execute bit on (--x) then it's NOT possible to list
the contents but it's possible to read the file if the filename is known.
Both bits on (r-x) enable listing of contents and entering the directory.

--
Juha Tuuna