Re: How to disable services at startup... and keep them so.

Camaleón wrote:
On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 08:49:03 -0800, Mike wrote:

"update-rc.d network-manager remove"
I don't have this service, but generally I'd expect to disable a service
through its /etc/default/ settings.

I agree this is the most common place to set the desired variable values for the daemon and even the easiest way to turn on/off a service at boot time but the thing is that there is not such file for Network Manager under "/etc/default/*".

(apologies if this is not what you are asking.  late to the thread)

if you have a GUI environment then couldn't you use Boot-Up Manager?

"aptitude install bum"

see:
http://www.marzocca.net/linux/bumdocs.html

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/