Re: Towards a working initrd.img file

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 1:12 AM, Peter Tenenbaum
<peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been having a problem since migrating my file system to RAID-1, which
> is that when I run update-initramfs, it produces an initrd.img file which
> doesn't work correctly; when I replace it with the initrd.img file which was
> constructed by the OS installer, I can boot correctly in my newly-RAIDified
> system.
>
> So my question:  how do I configure update-initramfs so that it
> automatically includes the kernel modules I need?  I note that there is a
> file, /etc/initramfs-tools/modules, which in my case has no module names in
> it; presumably I can look at /proc/modules and copy the names of all the
> modules shown in the latter into the former.  Would that solve my problem?
> Is there a better way?

I assume that this won't return anything but what do you get when you run
gzip --decompress --standout /boot/initrd.img-non-working | cpio
--list | grep mdadm
gzip --decompress --standout /boot/initrd.img-non-working | cpio
--list | grep '/md/'

I have an mdadm'd install of sid in which there isn't anything
mdraid-related in "/etc/initramfs-tools".

Does "/usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/mdadm" exist?