Ability to write to CD-R went away?

Hi all, I have a problem that is causing me difficulty debugging and/or deciding where to send a bug report.

Under lenny with 2.6.26-2-amd64 I can write both CD-R and CD-RW media on the Pioneer and Plextor drives on my system. Upgraded to squeeze and 2.6.32-5-amd64 and I can no longer write CD-R but I can write CD-RW. I can write CD-Rs with 2.6.26 and squeeze (but then I lose Xwindows).

In a script to test the various combinations I use:

wodim dev=$CDRWDEV gracetime=2 -v blank=fast

wodim -v  dev=$CDRDEV gracetime=2 fs=4096k \
          driveropts=burnfree padsize=63s \
          -useinfo -dao -pad  -data $ISO

wodim -v  dev=$CDRWDEV gracetime=2 fs=4096k \
          driveropts=burnfree padsize=63s \
          -useinfo -dao -pad  -data $ISO

To burn a previously created .iso.

After the burn I use dd piped through md5sum to compare checksums of the .iso (using the rawread script) and the burned CD. (This is part of the backup routine I've used for several years.) I have logs of the test runs, and there is a difference in the wodim output between the 2.6.26 and 2.6.35 runs.

On 2.6.26 wodim reports:

scsidev: '/dev/cdrom'
devname: '/dev/cdrom'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Wodim version: 1.1.11
SCSI buffer size: 64512
Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if device
communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
Driveropts: 'burnfree'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'PIONEER '
Identification : 'DVD-RW  DVR-112D'
Revision       : '1.21'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
<etc. etc.>

and on 2.6.35 wodim says:

scsidev: '/dev/cdrom'
devname: '/dev/cdrom'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Wodim version: 1.1.11
SCSI buffer size: 64512
Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if device
communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
Driveropts: 'burnfree'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'PIONEER '
Identification : 'DVD-RW  DVR-112D'
Revision       : '1.21'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
<etc. etc.>

The difference in Version of 0 versus 5 is one of the few differences between a failing burn and a succeeding run.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Louis