Lenny upgraded to Squeeze

Debian has been wanting reports for Lenny upgrades to Squeeze, so I bit the bullet and did the upgrade this morning, I logged out and shutdown x, I use SMXI, so I told smxi to shutdown x for me, it's easier for me and I only have to remember the one command, I had already completely updated Lenny and then changed my sources to Squeeze, so I did aptitude update and aptitude full-upgrade and basically I just let aptitude do it's thing, one problem was aptitude wanted to restart a list of services and one of them was kdm, so do yourself a favor and remove kdm from the list to restart or you will have a mess with x going while underneath x where you can't see aptitude will still be doing it's thing and you will not be able to get back to see what aptitude is doing, I won't tell you what I had to do to recover my system because you won't make that mistake of letting aptitude restart kdm.

After the full-upgrade there where somethings I wanted to check so I did aptitude search linux-image to make sure I had the squeeze kernel installed and it was but grub was not configured to use the new kernel so I ran grub-update, if you have grub installed to the MBR that's about all you need to know and good luck if you decide to do the upgrade.

As for me, I did aptitude --purge remove grub-pc and then made sure I had completely removed grub and grub-common too, then installed grub-legacy and ran update-grub to make sure I had a working menu.lst before rebooting.

Debian is saying at Squeeze release grub-legacy will no longer be supported, that's something for us all to think about.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Lenny upgraded to Squeeze - KDE 4.4.5 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263