Re: SDXC card compatibility with Debian Lenny and beyond

Dne, 28. 11. 2010 20:51:24 je Ken Heard napisal(a):
I expect to buy next Tuesday a Canon 60D body which can use SD, SDHC and
SDXC recording media.  SDXC cards are considerably more expensive than
the other two, in part I suppose because they use the Microsoft exFAT
file system; so royalties must be paid.

Besides the cost, I am concerned whether SDXC cards can be read by Lenny and successors on my PC and Lenovo laptop. Apparently a special driver
is needed to do so.

In view of the foregoing I wonder whether I am better using the SDHC
cards instead, because their unit cost ($ per mB) are lower than the
SDXC unit cost, and because they do not use a proprietary file system
still with patent protection.

Has anyone had any experience with SDHC and SDXC cards in digital
cameras to share?

Ken Heard

Haven't tried SDXC personally. However.
For the time being, SDHC seems to be your best bet; the cards have higher speeds/capacities than SD, while being cheaper and more backward-compatible than SDXC (remember, you may want to watch your photos in a set-top DVD player, or a friend's netbook some day). Three years from now, any card you buy will be dead anyway (if used intensely enough) so you'll get the chance to try SDXC if you really want. That said, however, Microsoft is not really a player in the photographic industry. I'd never buy a BMW cellphone or a Nokia SUV either, no matter how big BMW and Nokia may be in their respective fields.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.