after upgrade to squeeze keyboard does no longer work with X

Hi,

after an upgrade to squeeze I have the problem that my keyboard is no
longer recognized by X (the mouse works). If I kill gdm/kdm from another
machine via ssh, I get a console where the keyboard works. Xorg.0.log
does not show any errors (and the keyboard is mentioned there).

It does not matter whether the keyboard is connected via USB or PS/2.
Removing my xorg.conf (to use the defaults/autodetection) does not help
either.

Any ideas how to debug the problem?

Thanks,
  Joachim