Re: Smileys don't animate [Partly solved]

On 28/11/10 12:16:24, Barry Samuels wrote:
> On 28/11/10 11:35:01, Sven Joachim wrote:
> > On 2010-11-28 12:14 +0100, Barry Samuels wrote:
> >
> > > I run my own (non-commercial) web site which includes a forum. There
> > > are smileys which can be used in the posts which are supposed to
> > > animate except that they don't animate on my desktop machine.
> >
> > Do other GIFs animate there?
> >

> As I said originally the same GIFs animate on the same machine if they
> are on the local version of the web site but not on the remote site.
>
> > > My desktop runs Debian Testing/Squeeze, up to date, and uses a
> 2.6.34
>
> > > kernel plus the nouveau graphics driver. I used to use the nv
> > > graphics driver which exhibited the same problem.
> > >
> > > I understand that these animated smileys are multi-layered GIFs and
> > > it seems that I only see one layer which in some cases is not enough
> > > to even identify the smiley image.
> > >
> > > If I boot the same machine from an oldish Knoppix DVD (kernel
> > > 2.6.19) the smileys animate as expected. That DVD appears to
> use the nv driver.
> > >
> > > I can view the same page on my Laptop and the smilies animate on
> > > that.
> > >
> > > The really strange part is that I also have a local copy of the web
> > > site running under Apache on my desktop and the smileys do animate
> > > on that.
> >
> > With the same web browser?
> >

> Yes, with the same browser and with any other browsers that I've tried.
> The problem occurs when using Chromium and Opera Browsers in the same
> way
>
> i.e. the animation will work with the local site but not with the remote
> site.
>
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > Not really, but in Mozilla based browsers you may want to check the
> > value of image.animation_mode in about:config.
> >
> > Sven
>
> If that setting was the problem wouldn't it prevent smileys on the local
> machine from animating?

I have found that creating a new browser profile has cured the problem on
Firefox. That, however, is a bit of a nuisance as it means transferring
bookmarks, re-installing add-ons etc. It would be nice to know what part
of the profile is causing the problem so that it would be possible to
correct it.

The problem still occurs in Opera and Chromium though. Why should a
problem like that affect different browsers in the same way?

--
Barry Samuels
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk