Re: unloading unnecessary modules

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 00:14:45 -0500, Mag Gam wrote:

> I am currently working on a ecommerce system for a client. We are using
> Debian 5. I was told by an engineer that unloading unnecessary modules
> will improve performance in the system. My question(s) are: is this
> true? Also, how do I measure the kernel (or base OS) system before and
> after I unload the modules. I was told 'lmbench' can measure kernel
> latency but I can't think of any test which would be valid.

You better install a real-time kernel.

Strange is it seems there is no "linux-rt" in Debian repos but outside.

***
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia

Realtime kernel

The Debian Multimedia team is not working on including a kernel image
with the realtime-patches applied in Debian. Much of the realtime-patches
have been accepted in the mainline kernel, to the point that for most
purposes the stock Debian kernel is suitable even for realtime-like work.

If you'd like to use a kernel with the realtime-patches applied anyway,
you might want to consider adding the pengutronix repository from http://
www.pengutronix.de/software/linux-rt/debian_en.html .
***

Greetings,