Re: Opinions about Laptop and Debian - Nvidia vs Radeon

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 19:32:11 -0600, Ivan Marin wrote:

> I'm planning to get a laptop soon and gonna run Debian on it. I'm gonna
> need a few things:
>
> - HDMI/DVI output support, as I usually use a 22' Dell external monitor;
> - A good processor, at least i5/i7 Lynnfield/Arrandale;
> - A good video card, with good 3D support on Debian - I develop a VTK/
> OpenGL
> application, so 3D is paramount, even if I don't like to run binary
> blobs;
> - 4GB RAM at least.
> - The bigger the screen the better, but the external monitor use will
> dominate;
> - Need a laptop, not a desktop, for mobility purposes.

(...)

> What are your opinions/thoughts about the requirements and the problems?
> Any experiences with the especific hardware or suggestions of other
> brands/configurations? The only brands that I avoid are HP (REALLY bad
> screens) and Acer (too fragile).

I'd explore Toshiba Quosmio and Fujitsu LifeBook lines.

Also, I would carefully check the processor includes vT (virtualization
extensions), just in case. Lower-end Intel micros does not include vT
technology.

As per the VGA, I'd go for nvidia provided you are going to need the
closed driver and in this field nvidia does a good job.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón