Re: Frustration made me do it.

Below...

> If people really feel they NEED desktop
> widgets either make it add on software or make a third party desktop
> environment based off the main environment. The way it is now KDE and
> Gnome, the two biggest are competing for 'most bloat award' and the
> sleek fast environments like lxde are basing their systems off the
> giants so all the real customization of the past is just plain gone...

>No one is forcing anyone to use a DE.  There are quite a few window
>managers out there, and tons of X apps, that let you set up your box
>anyway you want.  Why should Linux have to change?  Isn't
"accommodating pretty much >everyone" a good enough basis for an os?

My complaint is that Linux IS and HAS changed. Correct nobody forces anybody to use a specific DE, but I would like somebody to show me a Linux DE that is current, well featured, and NOT based off the current core systems of KDE4 or Gnome. Example, Lxde doesn't have the bloat of KDE4, but is still running ontop of the same core enviroment of the KDE system native to the OS, (e.g. Lxde in squeeze has the same underlying and crappy menu and configuration systems at KDE4, trying to tweek the system is like going on a major quest and it doesn't have anywhere near the customization options KDE3 had.)

As I said, It HAS changed. Change is inevitable, and some change is good, but in the desktop environment world you are still limited in style and configuration/functionality options to an ever narrowing scope.

And as far as being everything to everyone, you can't. It is impossible to bloat a system into oblivion in an effort to impress desktop users without ticking off the server crowd who just want systems to run effectively and securely on even mediocre hardware.
(Just because their servers, and we administer CLi doesn't mean we don't use GUI's or like to tweek our desktops)

Let us not forget where Linux came from. The server crowd is our bread and butter, we don't need every microsoft user on Linux and the pursuit of such is only going to ruin what we have.

There are other *NIX's out there and vieing to be what Linux is.

TeddyB