Re: can grub on one disk boot OS on another disk?

On 11/21/2010 07:00 AM, teddieeb@tmo.blackberry.net wrote:
Well what does the partitioning on the SCSI disk look like?

It's odd for the system to boot into the HDA device using hd[0,#] AND hd[1,#] even if hd[1,#] was incorrect for the SCSI device, it should give you a can't find error, devices 0 AND 1 shouldn't work for the same OS in any case.

If we're gonna help you with that we may need to see what you put for the Win 98 entry as well as the partiton structure for your SCSI device

Another member mentioned the command line interface for grub to see what it sees, I am not certain of this command myself, but have you attempted to research this or menu.list configurations? What have you found??

TeddyB

-----Original Message-----
From: Long Wind<longwind2009@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 06:53:09
To:<debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Cc: Debian Lists<debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: can grub on one disk boot OS on another disk?

I use (hd1,0), it doesn't work
It boot Windows in hda instead
I try by adding

map (hd0) (hd1)

or

map (hd1) (hd0)

Both don't work.

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 5:44 AM,<teddieeb@tmo.blackberry.net>  wrote:
The hd[#,#] doesn't refer to the device type (i.e. scsi disk sda) grub operates BEFORE the OS and so that doesn't come into play.

If your IDE device is hd[0,#] than your SCSI device is going to be hd[1,#]

Obviously you must substitute the second # with the partition number your Win 98 OS is on.

TeddyB

(Not sure what to snip. so haven't.)
This may be my stupidity, but shouldn't a scsi disk be referred to as sdx? (Where x is a number, like 0 or 1.)
--doug