Re: rkhunter report

In <[🔎] 4CE7C832.7010308@pcartwright.com>, Paul Cartwright wrote:
>I run rkhunter, and today I got this report:
>
>Warning: Application 'gpg', version '1.4.10', is out of date, and possibly a
>security risk. Warning: Application 'openssl', version '0.9.8n', is out of
>date, and possibly a security risk. Warning: Application 'sshd', version
>'5.5p1', is out of date, and possibly a security risk.
>

>I am running Lenny, up-2-date.. is this something I can do anything about?

Well, it would help if rkhunter was more specific.  The Debian security team
will sometimes take security fixes from newer releases and apply them to the
packages in stable without bumping the version number reported by the
software.

I does look like "gnupg" and "openssl" have received some updates since the
Lenny release, and "openssl" got some from the security team specifically.
"openssh-server" hasn't been updated since the Lenny release, AFAIK.

If there is a specific vulnerability you are concerned about, asking on
debian-security for the status of a fix might be appropriate.  As far as
unknown threats go, there may be security flaws in the Lenny versions that are
fixed upstream, but there may also be new flaws introduced upstream and are
not in the Lenny versions.

Debian policy is that no new upstream versions enter stable, so if you would
be more comfortable with newer versions, you'll have to pull from backports,
testing, unstable, or possibly even experimental.  gnupg 1.4.11 is in
experimental; openssl 0.9.8o is in testing and unstable; openssh-server 5.6p1
is in experimental.  During a freeze (like now) some packages are uploaded to
experimental instead of unstable not for any package(ing) specific reason, but
to make fixing RC bugs in testing easier.  After the freeze you should see
these (or newer) versions uploaded to unstable within days.