Atomic operations

I post the following message on debian-devel mailing list but someone says it is the wrong one so I post it here again.
Please bear with me if you have already seen it.
I want to do atomic operation and find there is already such implementation in Linux, e.g. atomic_add, atomic_set, atomic_cmpset, etc, after I google on the Web. I find a libatomic-ops-dev package and install it. But there is still no man page after the installation. Did I install the right package? Where can I get the man page of these atomic operations?

Or maybe these operations are only for kernel and not for user applications? ( Highly unlikely, right? )

Alex