Re: Squeeze.GNOME. Correct compiz configuration.

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:37:41 +0000, Mark Goldshtein wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:11 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 21:31:20 +0000, Mark Goldshtein wrote:
>>
>>> Please, help to install and configure compiz manager correctly for
>>> Debian Squeeze.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/Compiz
>>
>> THT
>>

> Yes, this is a first link I have checked, but there about xorg.conf
> also. I can not find that file in /etc/X11 anymore. Actually, I cannot
> find it at all.

Yes, it is no more "by default", but you can create it.

> I have installed:
>
> compizconfig-settings-manager - Compizconfig Settings Manager
> compiz-fusion-plugins-main - Compiz Fusion plugins - main collection
> compiz-core - OpenGL window and compositing manager compiz-gnome -
> OpenGL window and compositing manager - GNOME window decorator
> compiz-gtk - OpenGL window and compositing manager - Gtk window
> decorator compiz-plugins - OpenGL window and compositing manager -
> plugins compiz - OpenGL window and compositing manager libdecoration0 -
> Compiz window decoration library python-compizconfig - Compizconfig
> bindings for python libcompizconfig0
>
> But compiz does not works:
>
> $ compiz --replace
> compiz (core) - Fatal: Software rendering detected. compiz (core) -
> Error: Failed to manage screen: 0 compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable
> screens found on display :0.0 Launching fallback window manager
>
> Correct me, if I am wrong, but the question is how to enable hardware 3D
> support in 'radeon' video driver, which is in use by my Radeon Mobility
> 7500? Or, if it is impossible, how to change video driver, which will
> support hardware 3D and will works with compiz?

3D should be enabled by default when using radeon driver, I wouldn't
bother about that (you can check it with "glxinfo | grep -i render").

> I am asking, because I had have working compiz with Debian Lenny. AFAIR,
> I have added those parameters from wiki page you have mentioned,
> installed compiz, that is it. I do not remember any trouble or any
> questions about it.
>
> Please, help to bring compiz to live in Debian Squeeze.

You have to follow the same steps. If "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" is not there,
just create it and add the required sections.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón