Re: Squeeze. Weekly Build CD installer 2010-11-08 is endlessly seeking a non-free firmware on fd0.

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 13:00:04 +0300, Mark Goldshtein wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 6:56 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 20:31:37 +0300, Mark Goldshtein wrote:
>>
>>> Have tried to install Debian Squeeze (weekly builds 2010-11-08) on a
>>> laptop with Intel 2100 Wifi card. Card's firmware is packed into
>>> native debianic non-free tarball.  As explained here:
>>> http://wiki.debian.org/ipw2200, it is enough to supply the tarball to
>>> the running installer on any removable media mentioned. But the
>>> installer first seek for fd0 floppy and seek forever, endlessly
>>> educating me about FAT16 file system, dangerous uppercase names and
>>> related troubles, as I have noticed at hidden F4 console. No single
>>> warning sign, progress bar or other useful info on a current active
>>> screen. As a countermeasure, I have searched my pockets, found USB
>>> floppy drive and wrote floppy diskette, plugged that into laptop but
>>> installer continue its tries for ghost fd0 and does not react on other
>>> removable media inserted in all sockets and holes. If you, please,
>>> help me to find a workaround to subdue that bad robot? Maybe it is
>>> possible to implant the firmware into installer ISO? And no, I cannot
>>> install using a netinstall image, because the installer does not
>>> support WPA and even if we will resolve firmware situation, the
>>> installation will not continue anyway.
>>
>> It should work. Or at least it is documented to do it so:

>> http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.amd64/ch06s04.html
>>
>> Did you try by putting the firmware into USB stick (not floppy)?
>
> Yes, I did. It does not see the firmware on USB stick, looking on fd0
> instead (or first, probably). Have tried tarball, firmware file itself,
> etc.

How bad (and strange nobody noticed) ;-(

Maybe you can use the pressed option (I've never tried before, just know
it exists) or you can try with something like that:

Netbooting and Firmware
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/NetbootFirmware

Anyway... I just have noted that you wanted to use WPA and only WEP
encryption is available at install time.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón