Re: Packages - what's the best way?

>> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 14:22:13 +1100, Rob Hurle wrote:
>> I'm quite new to debian and I'm getting my head around dpkg, apt-get,
>> aptitude and synaptic.  Does anyone have advice on the best way to
>> handle a .deb package?  Can I make up my own repository of .deb packages
>> and point apt-get at that to install packages?  I've installed one or
>> two small things (gcc and gnu make) using dpkg, but I wondered if there
>> was a better way to do this.  I've just downloaded opera and it comes in
>> a .deb package, so this is my next task.  apt or dpkg - or even
>> synaptic?

Hi, if you want a simple gui solution you should have a look at gdebi,
comes in gnome and kde flavours. Gdebi can install local packages and
fetch any needed dependency from the configured repositories.
As for Opera it will drop it's own repo file under
/etc/apt/sources.list.d during installation, so once installed it will
be updated as any other package with apt-get/aptitude.