[no subject]

Hello,

I am trying to re-setup my fake-raid (RAID1) volume with LVM2 like setup previously. I had been using dmraid on a Lenny installation which gave me (from memory) a block device like /dev/mapper/isw_xxxxxxxxxxx_ and also a /dev/One1TB, but have discovered that the mdadm has replaced the older and believed to be obsolete dmraid for multiple disk/raid support.

Automatically the fake-raid LVM physical volume does not seem to be set up. I believe my data is safe as I can insert a knoppix live-cd in the system and mount the fake-raid volume (and browse the files). I am planning on perhaps purchasing another at least 1TB drive to backup the data before trying to much fancy stuff with mdadm in fear of loosing the data.

A few commands that might shed more light on the situation:

pvdisplay (showing the /dev/md/[device] not recognized yet by LVM2, note sdc another single drive with LVM)

  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sdc7
  VG Name               XENSTORE-VG
  PV Size               46.56 GiB / not usable 2.00 MiB
  Allocatable           yes (but full)
  PE Size               4.00 MiB
  Total PE              11920
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          11920
  PV UUID               wRa8xM-lcGZ-GwLX-F6bA-YiCj-c9e1-eMpPdL

cat /proc/mdstat (showing what mdadm shows/discovers)

Personalities :
md127 : inactive sda[1](S) sdb[0](S)
      4514 blocks super external:imsm

unused devices:

ls -l /dev/md/imsm0 (showing contents of /dev/md/* [currently only one file/link ])

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Nov  7 08:07 /dev/md/imsm0 -> ../md127

ls -l /dev/md127 (showing the block device)

brw-rw---- 1 root disk 9, 127 Nov  7 08:07 /dev/md127

It looks like I can not even access the md device the system created on boot.

Does anyone have a guide or tips to migrating from the older dmraid to mdadm for fake-raid?

fdisk -uc /dev/md127  (showing the block device is inaccessible)

Unable to read /dev/md127

dmesg (pieces of dmesg/booting)

[    4.214092] device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3
[    4.214495] device-mapper: ioctl: 4.15.0-ioctl (2009-04-01) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
[    5.509386] udev[446]: starting version 163
[    7.181418] md: md127 stopped.
[    7.183088] md: bind<sdb>
[    7.183179] md: bind<sda>

update-initramfs -u (Perhaps the most interesting error of them all, I can confirm this occurs with a few different kernels)

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
mdadm: cannot open /dev/md/OneTB-RAID1-PV: No such file or directory

Revised my information, inital thread on Debian-users thread at:

Thanks for any ones help :)

-M