Re: Recovery from hard drive failure

Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
> 1.  Install the new hard drives
> 2.  Boot off the rescue CD
> 3.  Use fdisk to set up one of the drives as the system / boot drive, with 3
> DOS-style partitions (boot, swap, and everything else)

Because the debian-installer has a nice interface to setting up raid I
recommend using it to do the heavy lifting.  You can always stop after
getting a filesystem and then restore your present system onto the old
system.

Plus if you want raid then you probably want swap on raid too.
Otherwise if you have a disk failure and it is on the disk with the
swap then your system crashes.  If swap is on raid too then the system
keeps running.  And nicely that keeps both disks identical.

> 4.  Install grub in the boot partition

For Lenny remember to install grub on both disks in the RAID.  For
Squeeze that has been improved and I think is done automatically.  But
for Lenny you will definitely need to manually ensure that grub is on
both drives.  Otherwise if your first boot drive fails the second
drive won't have the boot code on it.  You can always boot a rescue
disk to recover from that problem if you hit it.

> 5.  Recover my backup to the new system disk via restore
> 6.  Update /etc/fstab to match the configuration I set up in (3) and (4),
> since I'm not setting up the new hard drives exactly the way that the old
> drive was configured

Also plan to do a dpkg-reconfigure of your old kernel to regenerate
the initrd with the new raid configuration.

> Mark -- I've decided against using LVM because (a) it adds another level of
> complication to the overall recovery / RAID-ification procedure, which at my
> low level of expertise I really do not need, and (b) it's not clear to me
> that LVM offers that much benefit for a relatively simple home system with
> more hard drive capacity than I really need.  Maybe on my next system...

Personally I always set up lvm.  It is worth the extra complexity.

Bob