All hung up over netatalk

I have a dual boot Toshiba Qosmio "laptop?" that I am upgrading from Lenny to Squeeze. Everything worked fine (Using Aptitude) until the installation of netatalk started; a program that I really don't need. I get:

Extracting templates from packages: 100%

Preconfiguring packages ...

supported_versions: WARNING: Unknown Debian release: 5.0.6

(Reading database ... 91312 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to replace netatalk 2.0.3-11+lenny1 (using .../netatalk_2.1.2-2_i386.deb) ...

hostname: Unknown host

invoke-rc.d: initscript netatalk, action "stop" failed.

dpkg: warning: subprocess old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...

hostname: Unknown host

invoke-rc.d: initscript netatalk, action "stop" failed.

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/netatalk_2.1.2-2_i386.deb (--unpack):

subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

update-rc.d: warning: netatalk stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do not match LSB Default-Stop values (1)

insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 6) of script `netatalk' overwrites defaults (1).

hostname: Unknown host

invoke-rc.d: initscript netatalk, action "start" failed.

dpkg: error while cleaning up:

/var/cache/apt/archives/netatalk_2.1.2-2_i386.deb

A package failed to install. Trying to recover:

dpkg: error processing netatalk (--configure):

Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should

reinstall it before attempting configuration.

netatalk

Press return to continue.

First /etc/hostname is filled in. When I attempt to reinstall I get the same type of error and the process aborts. When I try to remove or purge the application I get the same result. An of course, Aptitude won't finish the upgrade installation because of this error. I get essentially the same result with dpkg. How can I get out of this mess. Help!

Gary R.