Re: Wayland & Unity -- any repercussions on Debian?

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 01:57:15PM +0000, Camale?n wrote:
[...]
> I see not good technical reason for introducing the change. At least not
> nowadays.
>
> And that is one of the reasons I always fear "business decisions" (we
> should not forget that Canonical is the company behind Ubuntu) because
> "business decisions" can be founded on market/marketing issues and not
> technicalities and the latter are the only ones that should lead to these
> kind of changes.

Don't be too down on them. Wayland and Unity might really be a good path
forward. It is a grand experiment that can only be executed wholeheartedly
by fiat, and Canonical is taking it on. We in Debian-land get to reap the
benefits of Ubuntu's experiment if they get it working well, but don't have
to deal with the upheaval until a lot of the kinks are smoothed out and
don't have to touch it at all if the experiment fails. I call it win-win
(and I also call it "better you than me").

> Greetings,
> Camale??n
--Greg