Re: how to install debian on a external USB disk

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 16:04:12 +0800, Yuwen Dai wrote:

> I've been using Debian stable for years.  Now I'd like to try Debian
> unstable or test on  an external USB disk without modifying anything on
> my current disk, including partition as well as grub. Would you please
> give me any guides on this?  Thanks in advance.

You should proceed as usual (using expert installer). Installer will
detect USB disk and then you can make partitions at your wish. Just
remember to install GRUB in MBR of the USB disk.

If it fails at installing GRUB, do not worry, select "no boot loader" to
install, end Debian installation and afterwards you can install GRUB
using SGD (SuperGrubDisk).

As an alternative (and for software testing purposes) you could install a
virtual machine for Squeeze/Sid.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón