Re: HP Laserjet not printing.

Klistvud put forth on 11/8/2010 7:48 AM:
> Dne, 08. 11. 2010 13:50:36 je Stan Hoeppner napisal(a):
>> Camaleón put forth on 11/8/2010 2:58 AM:
>>
>> > Yes, I also like ethernet based devices but they are costly and not
>> > affordable for everyone.
>>
>> If someone can afford a $99 HP that's doesn't work, they can sure as
>> heck afford an extra $30-40 for a network laser that does. :)
>>

> Definitely so. Ethernet eliminates the driver woes, the "printer
> sharing" hassle and all that. It's also more OS-agnostic, and when done
> well, more -plug-and-play than USB printers ever were. I'd actually like
> my next printer to have *no* USB interface at all. There certainly is a
> market for ethernet-enabled printers *without* USB ports, which could
> make those two price ranges converge even more. As it is, many
> ethernet-enabled printers still come with a USB port. (I'm talking about
> home- and SOHO-grade printers, I'm not familiar with heavy
> duty/professional printers.)
> Vendors could reduce costs and maintenance: no OS-specific USB drivers
> to write anymore, only one interface to maintain instead of two. For the
> rare netbook/notebok having no ethernet port, a cheapo USB-to-ethernet
> converter could be bundled with the printer.
> Of course, configuration could get tricky for direct computer-to-printer
> connections, where crossover ethernet cables are required and where
> there's no router/dhcp to hand out the right IP numbers.

The trend for consumer laser printers is toward wireless ethernet print
servers.  I'm seeing more and more them these days.  And they're cheap.
 See the Brother model I linked to previously at Newegg. It has USB,
10/100 wired ethernet, _and_ wireless ethernet.

--
Stan