Re: [OT] KMail - forwarding issues

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 13:51:04 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> In <[🔎] pan.2010.10.31.16.29.12@gmail.com>, Camaleón wrote:
>
> The web was founded on text/html.  Email was founded on text/plain. The
> web is a pull / request model.  Email is a push / send model. The web
> operates through multiple linked requests.  Email expects everything
> inside a single message.

It is called "evolution".

The first hypertext applications were not very dynamic, I'd say, just
text and some links to jump to. Just look around now what the web has to
offer.

> The reason people dislike HTML email is because email is a different
> type of medium, for which HTML is inappropriate.

I can understand people dislike that things, but forcing their own POV to
the rest of the users is not a fair approach. In that reasoning, we could
still stay with "us-ascii" encoding and ditch "utf-8", but nowadays I
wouldn't find it quite appropiate.

>>> I was not equating anything with anything, I was just trying to make a
>>> distinction about features not always being choices and vice versa;
>>> and about features not always making us better off.
>>
>>Care to tell me just one thing that would make having a full featured
>>html formatting editor embedded in kmail harm users?
>>
>>Sorry, but I fail to see how "adding" new options can be "bad" for
>>users.
>
> Paradox of choice.  Fewer options is easier to understand.  If the new
> feature is not the default, how will we show it off; if the new feature
> is the default, the existing user base will complain.

But I'm not talking about "defaulting" KMail to html e-mails. Plain text
e-mails can be defauult choice, I have no objections to that. People is
smart enough to switch over text/html if properly indicated inside Kmail
UI (an actually I know it is) and even if the user cannot find it, he/she
can always ask in mailing lists or forums on how to change it.

>>Will it prevent user for using plain text e-mails as they were used to?
>>No, it won't, users can still use their MUA in the way they prefer.
>
> Depends.  Other clients in the past have grown test/html support in ways
> that make it very difficult, if not impossible, to write well-formed
> text/plain emails using them.

I would call that a bug, sir (and a big one), and being a bug is
something that should be fixed :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón