Re: aptitude called chromium-browser "obsolete"

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 19:42:39 +0200, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote in
message <4C87CB0F.9040907@googlemail.com>:

> Le 08/09/2010 19:25, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
> > Kind of an odd thing showed up on three Debian testing systems this
> > morning. This all use Xfce for the DE, and they use the
> > /etc/apt/sources.list configured like so:
> >
> > --------------------------8<----------------------------
> > deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> > deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> >
> > deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main
> > deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main
> > --------------------------8<----------------------------
> >
> > Because of the "straw poll" thread I had installed chromium-browser
> > and midori just to check them out.
> >
> > This morning I did my usual check for software upgrades using
> > aptitude, and it placed chromium-browser and its dependency into
> > the obsolete software category!
> >
> > I wasn't too heartbroken. I just went ahead and removed it (and
> > midori, too, since I really wasn't finding them to be as useful for
> > my particular purpose as Iceweasel.
> >
> > I don't remember seeing chromium-browser on the removal lists. Did I
> > miss it, or is something else afoot?
> >
> > - Gilbert
> >

> Hi, this blog entry explains the problem Chromium is facing:
>
> http://www.iuculano.it/en/linux/debian/chromium-browser-removed-from-testing/
>
> It's still available in Sid in version 6.0.472.53~r57914-3

..and it should be dropped and replaced with version 7.something:
http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/search/label/Stable%20updates

..I use Debian's "experimental" 7.0.544.0~r61416-1 on my
2 i686 boxes, but I can't find it for amd64.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: