Re: sound not working after computer upgrade

On 10/29/10 6:05 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> > Did a reboot, still getting this error;
>> >
>> > play /usr/share/sounds/purple/send.wav ALSA lib
>> > pcm_dmix.c:996:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave play soxio:
>> > Can't open output file `default': cannot open audio device
>> >
>> > alsamixer shows the sound device, which makes this weird
> Do you have ESD enabled? If so, try to disable.
>
> Also, recheck your sound device permissions:
>
> sm01@stt008:~$ ls -l /dev/snd
> total 0
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  0 oct 29 07:42 controlC0
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 24 oct 29 07:42 pcmC0D0c
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 16 oct 29 23:56 pcmC0D0p
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 28 oct 29 07:42 pcmC0D4c
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  1 oct 29 07:42 seq
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 33 oct 29 07:42 timer
>
> Greetings,

My permissions match yours.

esd claims to be running;

esd
esd: Esound sound daemon already running or stale UNIX socket
/tmp/.esd/socket
This socket already exists indicating esd is already running.
Exiting...

--
Rodney D. Myers <rod_dmyers@fastmail.fm>
AIM#:            YAHOO: