Re: How do you install Debian Live to a hard drive?

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 06:07:55PM -0500, Jason Hsu, embedded engineer, Linux user wrote:
> Rob, I tried the live build earlier today at http://live-build.debian.net/cgi-bin/live-build , but I haven't received notification that my package is complete.  And I didn't understand what many of the options meant anyway.  Is there a page that gives an explanation of what all those options mean?

There is a package you can install on your existing debian system (if
you have one) called live-build.  You can then "man lb_config" and that
will detail a lot of the options.  Here's an example of how I build a
live image (without the live-build website).  As root:

lb config -d lenny -a i386 -b usb-hdd -p lxde --bootappend-live "persistent timezone=America/New_York" --interactive true

lb build

The "-p lxde" references a file in /usr/share/live/build/lists.  Each
file tells what packages to install.  You can edit them or create your
own.

The "--interactive true" drops you to a shell near the end of the build
so that you can manually add/remove/configure packages, or make any
other changes you want to the system before the image is built.

I've never used the web interface that you're using, so I can't give you
very specific help on that.

-Rob