Re: removing linux-base from backports

On 2010-10-28 18:56 +0200, Michael P. Soulier wrote:

> I wanted to test something with a newer kernel so I grabbed a newer one from
> lenny-backports, but it includes a new linux-base that insisted on
> re-addressing all my devices by uuid. Now that I'm done, when linux-base is
> removed that shouldn't break anything, should it?

It shouldn't, linux-base's operation is basically a on-time shot.

> Why the extra layer of obfuscation? Worried about devices re-ordering?

No, about device renaming.  The 2.6.32 kernel has replaced the old IDE
drivers by libata, IDE drives are named /dev/sdX instead of /dev/hdX.
In order to keep both old and new kernels working, you have to use UUIDs
or labels in /etc/fstab and your bootloader configuration.

Sven