Re: Mail server recommendations

I don't mind keeping my mail in a flat file rather than a db. I guess if I were doing higher volume stuff, it might make a difference, but most of the emails I deal with are read, deal with and delete.

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Carlos Mennens <carloswill@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> I like Postfix and Dovecot :-)

I think Postfix is the best open source MTA available on Linux hands
down. I have used Sendmail, Qmail, and Exim and none of them have
given me the flexability and security of Postfix. Not to mention it's
the easiest thing to configure. The only downfall to Postfix is the
mailing list / community. At times their very unsupportive and can
make you feel like an idiot for asking good questions. It's not just a
matter of 'use Google'...

> Spamassassin is resource (ram/cpu) consuming and provided that you are
> not going online (no spam) it could be omitted.

I use Spamassassin (spamd) with Amavisd-new which is a great tool and
I think developed especially well on Debian over any other
distribution.

> As an alternative to Roundcube (I avoid webmail as much as I can) I would
> take a look into Squirrel.

Squirrelmail to me is dated and featureless in my opinion. Roundcube
is the best webmail project available on Linux to date but there are
things I wish they would hurry up and add to the features list.

Here's my list for all my mail servers:

- Postfix
- Dovecot
- PostgreSQL