Re: Need help choose processor amd64 hardware for running 8-10 debian squeeze guests on a squeeze KVM host

On 10/26/2010 03:20 AM, Siju George wrote:
Hi,

I am seeking to purchase an amd64 machines for running guest vms under KVM.
There will be 8-10 guests with the following software and services running.

guest 1 - nginx and apache, nginx as reverse proxy to apache.
guest 2 - varnish cache
guest 3 - mysql masterdb
guest 4 - mysql replication slavedb
guest 5 - trac, git, apache php-maven
guest 6 - agilo hudson.

other guests will have similar configurations.

Could some body tell me what I should look for when I purchase the
amd64 hardware.

Not Enough Info.

You should look to what you'll be *doing* with the machine, not what will just be sitting there idling 99% of the time.

Will the app(s) insert 10,000,000 rows/day into a 22TB database from a 1,000 different connections? Or will it read 100,000 rows from a 20GB database from 10 connections during the work day?

Things lke L@ cache and stuff I mean.
Which are th hardware tried and tested as best for running KVM?

Since you're running master and slave on the same machine, I'm going to guess that this is a development or test box.

That should guide you as to whether to get lots of (slower) cores or fewer faster cores.

--
Seek truth from facts.