RE: Number pad doesn't work gnome(squeeze) HPE-337c-b keyboard 5335u

Yes it was a terminal ctrl-alt f1 login invoke sensible-editor and test.
(system/preferences/keyboard/keyboard layout)? shows a generic 105-key(intl) PC.
The keyboard has sound control keys at upper right but they work. All else seems standard/generic.
The same symptom was there before I entered anything about the keyboard into xorg.conf.