Re: Upgrade to Squeeze failed

lrhorer put forth on 10/24/2010 11:52 PM:

>         Well, this is the third or fourth upgrade to Squeeze from Lenny I have
> attempted, and they all have been painful.  This one has failed,
> though.  I upgraded and got everything working, but then I decided to
> clean up a bit.  I did a couple of runs of `apt-get autoremove` and an
> `apt-get upgrade, along with installing startupmanager.  I removed the
> old 2.6.26 kernel image, and then updated Grub.  Then I rebooted the
> machine. Grub comes up, and if I let it boot to Windows, it works, but
> if I select Linux (normal or recovery), very shortly after starting to
> boot the video output from the machine just dies.  I don't mean it goes
> blank, I mean the video goes away altogether, as if the machine is shut
> down.  The monitor reports a loss of video signal, yet the PC is still
> running and continues to access the hard drive.
>
>         When it was working, the machine would start out in text mode, but
> quickly would switch to graphics mode when booting.  I am not certain,
> but I think it is at this same point the video output dies, now.  I've
> tried booting from the installation CD and removing then re-installing
> xorg, kdm, and kdebase.  No joy.  What should I try, now?

Boot to runlevel 2 (text only console) from Grub.  From the bash prompt
do a "startx" and see what happens.  Troubleshoot from there.  As long
as you can boot to a prompt you're in business WRT troubleshooting this
as you can cat/grep logs and edit config files to get X running again.

--
Stan