Re: XFS and Power Failures [Was: Linux filesystems]

Volkan YAZICI put forth on 10/21/2010 5:04 AM:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo@ttmail.com> writes:
>> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> writes:
>>> What write operations were you performing at the time you pulled the plug?
>>> Unless you were writing the superblock it'd be almost impossible to hose the
>>> filesystem to the point it couldn't mount.  Were you doing a resize operation
>>> when you pulled the plug?  xfs_growfs?  As far as recovery, it's automatic
>>> upon mounting the XFS filesystem.  What do you mean, precisely, by "couldn't
>>> *recover* the / fs"?
>>
>> Vanilla XFS with noatime,notail like basic mount options. The test was
>> simple, I was just typing "SELECT 1" from a psql command line (this
>> query shouldn't even hit to disk, it just basically returns 1) and
>> unplugged machine. At boot, I dropped to fsck command line. At command
>> prompt, I manually fiddled around with fsck of xfs to recover the
>> unmounted / filesystem, but had no luck. (I also tried recommendations
>> and informative messages supplied by manpages and command
>> outputs/warnings.) Also if you would Google, it shouldn't be hard to
>> spot similar experiences from other people.
>
> Another scenario, same failure. I have a squeeze installed notebook and
> having troubles with X. It crashes for some driver specific reasons and
> I need to hard-reset the notebook. 1-2 times I found WindowMaker missing
> its workspaces, and I didn't have time to inspect the problem. Now I
> lost all of my Opera bookmarks (~500 collected in years). Thanks XFS,
> but no, you're not power-failure. (BTW, I "kill -9"ed Opera many times,
> and it restored all of its settings properly. I don't think it is an
> Opera or WindowMaker related bug.)

Open your files with O_PONIES and all your filesystem problems will
magically disappear.

Please educate yourself by reading this http://lwn.net/Articles/351422/
and then reply to your own comments above.

Actually, anyone reading this post should read the article and comments
at that link.  There is way too much misinformation running around and
too many people taking positions publicly (especially on this list) that
are 180 degrees opposite of fact with regard to correct/proper
filesystem behavior.

--
Stan