Re: mail-only user accounts

On 2010-10-21 09:54, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 10/21/2010 02:35 AM, Stanisław Findeisen wrote:
>> What are the best practices for restricting user accounts to e-mail +
>> passwd only?
>>
>> Is allowing SSH access and setting user shell to passwd the way to go?
>>

> If the machine will just be an email server, I'd look into virtual
> accounts.
>
> http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-virtual-emails-accounts-with-postfix-and-dovecot

Okay, but does SSH+passwd + Postfix + Dovecot (no virtual accounts)
leave any inherent security holes? Like the ability to do scp or...?

My testing reveals that scp doesn't work with SSH+passwd:

> scp local-file someone@...:/somewhere/...
> someone@...'s password:
>
> passwd: invalid option -- c
> Usage: passwd [options] [LOGIN]

>   -a, --all                     report password status on all accounts
>   -d, --delete                  delete the password for the named account
>   -e, --expire                  force expire the password for the named account
>   -h, --help                    display this help message and exit
>   -k, --keep-tokens             change password only if expired
>   -i, --inactive INACTIVE       set password inactive after expiration
>                                 to INACTIVE
>   -l, --lock                    lock the password of the named account
>   -n, --mindays MIN_DAYS        set minimum number of days before password
>                                 change to MIN_DAYS
>   -q, --quiet                   quiet mode
>   -r, --repository REPOSITORY   change password in REPOSITORY repository
>   -S, --status                  report password status on the named account
>   -u, --unlock                  unlock the password of the named account
>   -w, --warndays WARN_DAYS      set expiration warning days to WARN_DAYS
>   -x, --maxdays MAX_DAYS        set maximim number of days before password
>                                 change to MAX_DAYS
>
> lost connection

What is this "c"? What is scp doing?

Does scp assume that remote shell is GNU Bash, and tries to pass command
line arguments to it? My local GNU Bash manual says:

> -c string If the -c option is present, then commands are read from string.   If  there  are  arguments  after  the
>                  string, they are assigned to the positional parameters, starting with $0.

so I think that would make sense... This -c option is probably POSIX?

Perhaps Debian SSH server only allows secure authentication +
communication and the rest is just to execute user shell with command
line parameters supplied by the client end. Is this correct?

--
http://people.eisenbits.com/~stf/

Like hardship, risk & challenge?  --- Follow Jesus!!