Re: Nvidia Proprietary Driver

On Sb, 16 oct 10, 19:37:23, David Baron wrote:
> As followup to my post on Nouveau, which I would prefer using, the
> installation of the gallium experimental driver involves too many experimental
> packages. I installed nvidia's driver (for newer 620GeForce 6200 TurboCache)
> without a hitch ... almost.
>
> AFTER X is up, the consoles (alt-shift-F1...) are garbled. Text is very large
> and doubled up vertically. So consoles are unusable and their "bottom" where
> text is entered is way down under.
>
> I am using Xorg from Sid and  2.6.32.5 linux-image from Sid. Is there some way
> to rectify this, i.e. some console setup script I can run in local rc or such?

You might get usable consoles by:

1. setting the correct resolution for the console
2. setting a good size for the console font

For 1. it would help if you told what bootloader you are using, but
assuming it is grub-pc a.k.a. grub2 you have to add a line like:

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1680x1050x32

to /etc/default/grub with the correct resolution and then run
'update-grub'. When you got it working run 'dpkg-reconfigure
console-setup' to fix 2.

Regards,
Andrei