Re: see what files are touched by a program

On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 21:54 +0200, Davide Mancusi wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 21:57:36 +0200
> Steven <redalert.commander@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi list,
> >
> > Can anyone point me to a program that will let me know what files a
> > certain application touches? More importantly, writes to.
> > Something like "filestouched vi filename" which would then report
> > 'filename' as being used.
>
> 	Try
> lsof -p process_id
> You should be able to access the same info from the /proc interface,
> too. I don't know where (if?) it is in /sys.

Thanks, this looks like it might work, unfortunately it's not as easy.
My problem is that the program is being launched by another program,
which I start manually, so I don't know it's PID yet, when I do, the
program might already be terminated, or it might still be running (who
knows?).
Any other way I can get this information?

Thanks to your tip, I looked up the man page for lsof, and I'll try it
with the -c option, and hope I get it at the right moment.

Kind regards,
Steven