RE: Scripted method to change TZ from UTC to a specific timezone?

> > I've also tried "echo 'America/New_York' > /etc/timezone" as well
> > instead of copying.
>
> You might also want to do this, but /etc/localtime and
> /etc/timezone provide different information.  /etc/localtime
> is machine-readable data that allows libc to map UTC times to
> local times; /etc/timezone is (I guess) the human- readable
> name of the local time.

Ugh, my apologies, even though I typed /etc/timezone in the email, I was
actually doing piping the output to /etc/localtime.
I noticed that and changed it to /etc/timezone and then did the
dpkg-reconfigure and it worked.

FYI: for future reference

# echo 'America/New_York' > /etc/timezone
# dpkg-reconfigure -f noninteractive tzdata

Works. Thanks for the help everyone!