Re: Changing DPI in X.org

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 18:55:52 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 22:27 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> > I noticed the "fonts settings" control in GNOME, but this doesn't
>> > pass the DPI to other programs that check the system DPI setting,
>> > such as Adobe Reader.
>>
>> For Acrobat Reader I can't tell -I do not use it nor have it installed,
>> but knowing Adobe's policies, it does not surprise me so much (Adobe
>> products are not very well integrated within linux systems) :-)
>>
>> What other programs are causing you troubles?
>>

> I wonder if that's where setting it as an attribute of X as Nick
> suggested rather than the desktop manager has an advantage? - John

The main advantadge of using a DE tool is that there is no need to have
root privileges and all users can tweak that setting :-)

But for users who are also their own root, it is worth a try to give xorg
server a static value for DPI and check if the results are the desired
ones. I think it could be done by specifying under "Monitor" or "Device"
section (check your xorg manual to get the right place) in "/etc/X11/
xorg.conf" that option:

***
Option	"DPI" "96x96"
***

Look, my xorg (wrongly?) sets DPI at 86, but in GNOME I have configured a
96dpi value because I feel more confortable with it:

sm01@stt008:~$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep DPI
(--) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (85, 86); computed from "UseEdidDpi" X config

Greetings,

--
Camaleón