Re: Partitioning a drive with Windows 7 already installed

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 21:54:57 +0200, Ogya Chief wrote:

> I have just bought a pc with Windows 7 pre-installed and I want to
> partition and install debian on the drive. If I use the debian
> installer's partitioner, what precautions do I have to take in order not
> to damage the Windows partition?

I would make the partitions _before_ installing Debian.

You can use Gparted (LiveCD) and play from there. It allows to resize the
windows partition and create new ones.

Just remember that before performing any action on the current NTFS
partition (by instance, resize it) I would recommend to make a scandisk
and defragmentation of the involved volume (and a backup of the data) to
avoid any problem.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón