Re: Nouveau

On 2010-10-12 22:27 +0200, David Baron wrote:

> I am running a 2.6.32.5 kernel using Nouveau on an nvidia pci-express card.
> Seems to me games like penguin racer and such should run fine on this (even if
> not as well as with the proprietary nvidia drivers).

Games requiring 3D will crawl rather than run and usually be unplayable.

> They run, however, as if
> there were no direct rendering at all. Even chromium which ran fine on my old
> system using a junk Matrox card bugs down here.

That's correct, software rendering is used for OpenGL.

> Nouveau's bootup sequence says DRI active.
>
> Man page list three options for the driver and I let them all default.

You would need a 3D OpenGL driver which is not available in Squeeze.
There is one in experimental, but it is not ready for public consumption
yet, and upstream does not accept bug reports against it.

If you want to play 3D games, for now the recommendation is to use the
proprietary drivers.

Sven